Thursday, May 2, 2013

Considering Necessity

I'm a couple of weeks out from making a pilgrimage on the Camino De Santiago over in Spain.  My mind has been occupied largely with the fairly mundane reality of what to pack.  As with most backpacking adventures, weight and bulk are of primary importance.  Since the trip involves an adventure with international air travel, careful consideration of my cargo is even more crucial.  I'm trying to get my mind around taking only what I really need for a week of walking, which I think is functioning as a rather bracing spiritual discipline in and of itself.  My penchant for gadgetry has been fulfilled with a few basics: a neat little camping towel, a solar charger/battery pack for my phone, new boots, some lightweight clothes, etc. But as I really consider what I want to carry for 120 km, I'm finding that the list is rather short.
Sometimes it is necessary to simplify.
But most of us won't really simplify unless it's absolutely necessary.
This journey is a small part of a larger journey for me.  I've been getting in shape by walking: I've been managing my blood sugar, losing weight, generally feeling better about myself because I can walk up hill without huffing and puffing.  I'm not really worried about the physical challenge of the Camino, though I'm sure that I'm probably underestimating the difficulty of walking between 6-8 hours a day.  What I'm really mulling over right now is the spiritual challenge of letting go.  Right now, I am having trouble imagining the trip beyond the logistics, beyond the rather daunting discomfort of an 8 hour flight, beyond the packing lists and travel arrangements.
I really want to get to the place where my feet are on the Camino, underneath the big blue Spanish sky.
I know plans are necessary to get to that point.
I know that careful consideration of what I take will lighten the load on my shoulders.
What I really hope to leave behind on this trip is a lot of the baggage I'm carrying around in my head and in my heart, because I really don't need that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on what you read, but keep it clean and respectful, please.