Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Fault is in our Gear, and our plans, and a whole bunch of other stuff

The big journey on the Appalachian Trail was only about half as long as planned.  But the first problem was really the plan.  I may have been a little too optimistic.  Thinking that Jack and I could walk over 25 miles in four days on the trail was a bit naive.  It was his first trip on the Trail and my first in over 20 years.  I forgot a lot of things that should not have been forgotten like:
1. Packs are heavy, especially when they're loaded for four days of back country camping.
2. Mountains are high, and the trails that lead up them are often steep, especially on the AT, which is by no means a "beginner" trail.
3. I am not 18 anymore.
4. Jack is only 10.
5. Important pieces of gear can fail at any moment, like this:
That's what I was supposed to sleep in for three nights

Anyway, there were a dozen warning signs that we should turn back, but this one that happened at about 3:00 AM and left me sleeping on a picnic table under (thankfully) a starry sky, was the one that finally made the decision for me.
In hindsight, I should have planned a one, or maybe two night excursion, that was a little less strenuous, but I didn't, so adjustments had to be made.  Thankfully, I am now a grown-up and can (mostly) put my ego on hold when I need to.  I can also find the good in a bad situation, which would have gotten much worse with a little bit of stubbornness.  So here's the good:
1. Jack and I got "out there." It was exciting, it was a challenge, and it was really an amazing experience, warts and all.
2. I saw my son buck up to the hardships of the journey and not cave in.  I was really proud when he said he would go on, I was even prouder when he encouraged me to keep going.
3. I saw my son also appreciate the wisdom of not pushing it too far, even though he wanted to press on, he didn't complain when I told him we would not.
4. I looked up at the stars and had to laugh at how quickly my plans can come to naught, but laugh I did, because I knew that something bigger than me was at work, and I've been around that block enough to find it funny when God dumps me on my ass in the middle of the night.
5. I'm getting better at taking a hint.
6: Oh and this:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on what you read, but keep it clean and respectful, please.