Thursday, August 28, 2014

What Are We Thinking?

Okay, so when I first saw stuff referencing this, I thought it was a hoax.  There's no way that anyone would hand an Uzi on full auto to a nine year old girl, but apparently there was.  It was the last error in judgment that he will ever make, but it was not a lone ranger moment of stupidity, there is a whole culture of messed up stuff to blame.
Look, I've said before, I have no problem with guns, I have a couple, but I also have a nine year old girl, and I am aware of her relative limitations as much as I am of the guns deadly potential.  Thus my shotguns are trigger locked, unloaded and stored in an entirely different location from the ammunition for said weapons.  This means, I suppose, that I will not be able to employ them as a means of defense, should someone break into my castle.  They will just have to deal with a 300 lb, knife-wielding maniac in his underwear, I ask you honestly to consider which is more terrifying.  But I do not have to worry that my daughter will somehow decide to play with Daddy's guns and shoot herself (or her brother) in the face.
There are, of course, the horrendous Devil's Rejects sorts of incidents, where a real bad guy or two decides to capture and torture a family.  And I suppose there are at least a few of those moments that are prevented by a well-trained adult with a handgun, but those black and white sorts of events are few and far between.  What is far more common are the grey area incidents, where a frightened person shoots a drunken neighbor or even worse, one of their own children who got out of bed to go to the bathroom.  And let's be honest here, gun or no, when you think someone's breaking into your house in the middle of the night you're going to be scared out of  your mind.  Fear does not do good things to human judgment, and thus a scared person is a dangerous person, and a scared person with a gun is an extremely dangerous person.
There are differences of opinion on the efficacy and necessity of firearms for self defense, but the whole argument seems tangential when I consider my own children.  There is no scenario, even in the most extreme hypothetical position that I would hand my daughter a freaking Uzi set to full auto.  Full grown men have can be ill prepared for the amount of recoil from a 9mm handgun, let alone a sub-machine gun. If you watch the carefully edited video of the Uzi event, you will notice that that little girl was really close to shooting herself in the face as well as the instructor.  As it is it's almost unavoidable that that little girl is going to need years of psychiatric care in order to deal with that moment when something slipped out of her hands.
The point is that it was something that never should have been in her hands.  Places like Guns N Burgers, should not exist in a sane civilization.  No matter what your opinion on the issue of guns in general, we need a moment of sanity to take a deep breath and consider our idolatry, because we're sacrificing more children on that altar than the Canaanites did to Moloch.
How many kid's lives is your "right" to bear arms really worth?  I'm including that little girl, because her life is going to be really screwed up for a very long time.
Why is every attempt to make owning a gun at least as documented a process as owning a car seen as an attack on our freedom?
Because someone told us it was.  Just like that gun instructor probably told that little girl's parents: "don't worry, it's perfectly safe."
We need to stop this obsession.
Our guns are not more important than our children.
You can have both, just please, keep them separate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on what you read, but keep it clean and respectful, please.