Thursday, December 1, 2016

A Prayer

Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for him;
Do not fret over those who prosper in their way, 
Over those who carry out evil devices.
Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath. Do not fret - it leads only to evil.
-Psalm 37: 7-8 (NRSV)

Lord, I am just so tired of being angry.  I can't watch the news or read the newspaper without this crushing sense of frustration. I've got too much fear, it's killing me inside.  I need to let it go and think about other things.  What can I do about any of it?  If fascists take control, or if chaos reigns, what can I do?
See Above.
Yeah, I get that, but it seems like there should be something to do, something to say, some vote to make or maybe a petition to sign.  It can't always just be about letting the rich get richer and the poor get trampled under foot.  Aren't you always talking about justice rolling down and stuff like that?
Justice is my job.
But we're supposed to help right?  I mean, incarnation, the Body of Christ in the world and all that.
Crucifixion is part of that job description.
Okay, I get it, take up your cross and all, but what about the vulnerable people we're supposed to take care of? The widows, the orphans, the oppressed, you know, the least of these?
How is worrying and being angry going to help them?
Prophetic anger Lord, Prophetic anger! Isn't that in the Scriptures too?  Head smashing, smiting, great vengeance and furious anger?
I think that was Pulp Fiction, but I can see how you might get confused.
Okay, now you're just being snarky, righteous violence is in there, I know it.  How is wiping out almost the whole human race in a flood not at least a little bit, you know, angry? 
I did regret that pretty hard, that's what you're supposed to learn from that episode.
But there were the Egyptians, and the Canaanites, and what about the Hittites?
You're such a preacher, nobody ever brings up the Hittites anymore.
I'm just worried, you know, because I'm pretty fond of this empire I live in right now, it's got good stuff, like freedom, iPhones and cheesesteaks. I don't want it to crumble into oblivion.
Why do nations rage and the peoples plot in vain?
Now you're just proof texting.
You started it, "what about the Hittites?"
I'm trying to pray serious here.
You're not doing a very good job.
I feel like you're not listening or taking me seriously.
I know how that feels.
Ouch.
Yep.
Okay then, Amen.
Good talk, see you later.
Yeah, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on what you read, but keep it clean and respectful, please.