Wednesday, August 30, 2017

One More Time, With Feeling

In any nonviolent campaign there are four basic steps:
Collection of the facts to determine whether injustice exists;
Negotiation; Self Purification; and Direct Action.
-Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from a Birmingham Jail

I read King's Letter from a Birmingham Jail, whenever I need a prophetic refresher in what it means to seek real change in society in a way consistent with Christian ethics.  I read his plea to a group of white, moderate clergy, whenever I am tempted to start to side with status quo and forget the the suffering of the least of these.  I read it because I need to be convicted of my own rationalizations and defense mechanisms.
I read it again this morning in the light of the "Nashville Statement" (no link provided, you can google it if you want) in which a gang of evangelical power players have put forth a fourteen point missive in which they not only condemn LGBTQ people, but also those of us who are trying by some degree to move towards inclusive and affirming communion.  It doesn't matter at all to those folks that I find my drive towards acceptance to be rooted in Scripture, motivated by grace and seeking to shape the church into a more holy communion.  They stated that they find my conscience, my hermeneutical position, and indeed my relationship with my Creator to be false. I feel that I have just made a conscious decision to put love first.
I read it also in light of the eruptions of violence in Charlottesville and also in Berkeley where extremist groups who have certainly not adequately dealt with the self purification step of Dr. King's prescription, are trying to enact whatever change they feel is justified using "Any Means Necessary." I read the letter because I know that Martin was sitting in a jail cell for his conviction to act, but to never resort to violence.  I read the letter, because even though his action was above reproach it was still called "untimely" by men who were very much like me.  I read it to be convicted of any way in which I am tempted to become complicit or to forget the central truth that violence will only beget more violence.  I read it so that I do not equate legitimate protest groups like Black Lives Matter with the Antifa and various leftist anarchists who have no more problem inciting violence than the Neo-Nazis or the KKK.  I read it because I need to be reminded that in any group, right or wrong doctrine is manifest in right or wrong actions, "you will know them by their fruits."
I read it also because I see what we can be as people of all colors, genders, orientations, religions, socioeconomic classes.  I see humans helping each other in the wake of a catastrophic flood.  We have come a long way since Noah, we are pitching in to make sure that the flood does not wipe out our world. I see rednecks in their bass boats, rescuing black families from the deluge.  I see rich coastal elites giving millions of dollars to the relief effort in the reddest of states. I even see the Trumps tiptoeing through the carnage to lend moral support and encouragement to the people of gulf coast, and promising to do better (I hope that's for true).
I read it because if Martin can be that hopeful from a narrow jail cell, I certainly can from my comfortable office.  I read it because if Dr. King can be that rooted in Scripture and prayer in the face of injustice and persecution, I can certainly try to do so from my privileged place.  I read it, as I do, time and time again because it convicts me, gives me hope and sets my feet upon the rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on what you read, but keep it clean and respectful, please.