Monday, October 22, 2018

Go Gently

We don't yet see things clearly.  We're squinting through a fog, peering through a mist.
But it won't be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright!
We'll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us.
-1 Corinthians 13: 12 (The Message)

Thank you Eugene for all that you have done for me.  We met one time, at a conference, when I was just barely out of seminary.  You were the star of the show, but you didn't seem very comfortable being the center of attention.  I was struck by your gentleness and the way you seemed humble and quiet in the midst of quite a bit of fawning by pastor types like me.  I had read so many of your books at that point that I felt like I knew you, and I suppose I did in a way, your books are honest, and I will always hear your quiet rasping voice whenever I re-read them.
I had already mourned the fact that you stopped writing, but I felt like the world was a better place with you up there in Montana on that beautiful lake.  Now I must accept a different vision, that you are home with God, you have completed your baptism and come face to face with the Savior that you served in so many ways.  I think your service through writing has rescued the Church from much silliness and formed many of us into better pastors.
I have read your memoir and I know your life was long and full of goodness.  I know that you did not fear this day, but rather, with the gift of faith, looked forward to glory, and seeing God clearly.  I am happy for you today Eugene, but sad for the world that has lost your wisdom and your presence.
Your writings will be a gift for years to come, thank you so much for leaving them for us.
When you see Fred Rogers, tell him "Hey Neighbor!" He got to me a lot earlier than you and taught me a lot about what it means to be kind.  Not that it's a competition, but you two really make Presbyterian ministers look good.
Thanks again Eugene, your life has made a difference.  Enjoy the Resurrection.  
See you there after a while,
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on what you read, but keep it clean and respectful, please.