Monday, October 26, 2015

A Season of Faith's Meh

I follow baseball like a lot of people go to church, which is to say sporadically and with highly varied levels of enthusiasm.  In years where the Phillies, and Pirates are out of it (I'm thinking about maybe adding the Orioles to my list, because Maryland), I really pay only passing attention to the playoffs and the World Series.  Sometimes I have an anti-rooting interest, like when the Yankees are playing.  I might be enticed by a really good story, like when the Red Sox broke the curse, or if the Cubs ever do, but in a year like this one, where the Kansas City Royals are playing that other New York team... it's just kind of blah.
Don't get me wrong, the Royals are an entertaining bunch, and I thought the way that KC fans punked the entire MLB All Star voting process was fifty shades of awesome, but despite an innate rivalry between the Phillies and the Mets, I just can't get riled up enough about them to even root against them. They're like that team that seems like a lovable loser even when they're winning.  It's a talent I suppose, maybe the product of sharing a market with the Yankees (I think a similar dynamic exists with the NHL: Rangers, hate em, Islanders, aw come on guys).
So far, 2015 is a year of being underwhelmed with sports.  If I wasn't playing fantasy football I think I would be totally disinterested even in the NFL, because the Iggles and the Stillers are both slogging through terribly mediocre seasons (The Steeler's because Roethlisberger is injured and on the sidelines, the Eagles because Bradford is profoundly broken and is still on the field).  I'm not really sure how to even watch hockey anymore, the NHL seems to have been swallowed up by obscure cable channels, and I guess I really just don't care enough about it try and find it.  My only interest in Basketball is the NCAA tournament and the Sixers, the latter of which is a multilevel catastrophe of comical ineptitude and the former of which doesn't happen until March.
Maybe I could watch more Soccer, it was fun in Spain.
This all gets me thinking about how we can go dry sometimes.  Even the most passionate people just run out of ideas sometimes, and allowing your zeal to lag is not necessarily a cardinal sin.  Maybe it's just a part of life.  If you can become apathetic about sports, which really requires very little from you in order to "participate," then how quickly will you burn out of something (like religion) that requires you to actually participate.  I think this might go a long way towards explaining the popularity of TV and radio preachers.  You can listen to them without being required to do anything (except send them money).
I can get so bored with a football game that I find myself dozing off or flipping back and forth between the game and an episode of Mythbusters that I have seen four times before.  What's to stop that from happening in Church?  Seriously?
Look, if God showed up on a regular basis and put on a show, the church would be full every week.  If, all of the sudden, I could do miracles and healing like Jesus, my sanctuary would be filled to overflowing.  If every week in church there was a pyrotechnic display of theophany and choirs of angels heralding the presence of God, we would not have to do outreach or mission.  People would find us no mater what.
No faith would be required.  No hope would remain, there would only be the biding of time before the Lord spoke.
As I mentioned above, the thing that keeps me interested in football in an otherwise down year is fantasy sports.  And no not the for money kind, just the "old" fashioned kind where you track the stats of players on your team and put their points up against the players from another team.  What this does is give you a stake in what is going on.  It puts you in a place to care and make decisions.  Like when Roethlisberger when down with a knee injury, I was bummed because I like the Steelers, but it was double trouble because he was my fantasy QB.  I had to do something about that injury, I had to find a quarterback from among the leftovers who could get me through the 6 weeks or so that Big Ben was going to be sidelined.  It required some attention, and it got me involved with Tyrod Taylor and the Buffalo Bills, a team I would otherwise not even pay any attention.  Then Taylor went down and I had to go really deep for Blake Bortles of the Jacksonville Jaguars, holy cow, I have never even given a second thought to the Jags until now.
Participation increased my level of awareness and understanding.  By having a vested interest in events I was not bored.
Are you bored by church?  Try getting involved.
Does it feel like there's nothing there for you?  Of course not if you're a spectator or a consumer.  Faith requires investment and participation, honestly you'll be amazed how much of a difference it makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on what you read, but keep it clean and respectful, please.