Saturday, February 15, 2014

And the Results...

I admit that I have developed a bit of an addiction.  Don't worry, it's not the unhealthy, ruin your life kind of addiction, it's an addiction to taking those online personality quizzes that tell you what movie character, or rock singer, or animal, or even what drink you would be if you were a drink (I was a glass of fine wine).
It all started pretty innocently with a simple grid that used the Myers-Briggs personality types.  Since I have taken the MB about a dozen times I know my type: INTP, which on that first little made-up chart, meant that I was Gandalf the Grey, from Tolkien's Middle Earth.  Myers-Briggs uses your affinities and preferences to judge your personality type.  You're supposed to answer the questions based on what you want to do, not actually on what you think you would do.  All of the on line tests that I have taken have been similar in nature to those affinity tests: what would you most like to be/do.
As it turns out, my affinities lead me to be like: Gandalf (LOTR), Yoda (Star Wars), Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter), Jareth (The Goblin King played by David Bowie in Labyrinth), Oscar the Grouch (Sesame Street), Jean Luc Picard (Star Trek, The Next Generation), The Undertaker (Old school WWE wrassler), and assorted and sundry other fictional characters.  As it turns out, these are fairly good indicators of my personality type, almost everyone on that list was one of my favorite characters from their particular part of the fictional landscape.
You can also see that I have a certain affinity for sci-fi and fantasy.
Most of the time, when that little box with my results popped up, I was inordinately happy.  Which means, I suppose, that at nearly 40 years of age, I am finally comfortable with who I am.  Either that or I am missing my calling to become a hermit-wizard.
Far more interesting to me than the fact that I should apparently be working on a much more impressive beard than I currently have, is the rather peculiar joy I feel when I get a result that I like.  It makes me happy to think that I am somehow like the characters that I thought were awesome.  I don't take the results too seriously, thus I easily write off the notion that I ought to live in Wyoming based on a 15 question multiple choice quiz.
What I think keeps me coming back to these quizzes is the identification with a good story.  The character quizzes are the ones I really look for, specifically characters in stories that I like (I don't do the Twilight or Fifty Shades of Grey quizzes, I really don't want to know).  When I took the Star Trek TNG quiz, I had some trepidation that I was going to end up as Wesley Crusher, and so I was very pleased and relieved to see Captain Picard in my result.  I know that since the quizzes are affinity based, it's highly unlikely that you would ever get a result that you absolutely hated.  But still... who wants to be Draco Malfoy?
I also found it interesting that with the exception of Picard, almost every character I was identified with is a supporting character, mostly a major supporting character, but never the main protagonist.  I don't really want to be Frodo, Luke Skywalker or Harry Potter, they're far too whiny and clean shaven for my liking.
Apparently, I would rather be the person who shows up, says or does something cool/useful/important, and gets along on his way without all the tediousness of self-discovery.
Yet in real life I spend my time writing blogs about what character I got on a stupid facebook quiz...
What would Gandalf do about this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on what you read, but keep it clean and respectful, please.