Thursday, October 16, 2014

Some Light

So I saw this thing early this morning, and it just about made my day.  Not because it's incredibly hilarious, frankly videos of cats trying to sit in odd containers is probably good for more chuckles.  Not because it's Star Wars related, although that generally grabs my attention.  It made my day because it is an example of human beings essentially laughing in the face of an absurd and absurdly broken system.
This comes to us from Ukraine, and it reminds me that my experience of people from Ukraine, Russia and that part of the world has been rather contrary to the stereotype.  Growing up during the Cold War, my primary impression of Soviets was not favorable, reading Russian Literature on top of that generalized fear left me with a feeling that "Russians" were pretty hardcore people, who could really take a licking and keep on ticking.  With the rather unfortunate exception of Yakov Smirnov, I had a hard time imagining that people on that side of the world laughing.
Yet, as I have gotten to know actual people from that part of the world, an experience our hate and fear largely prevented during my formative years, I find that laughter is a big thing, and it comes easily, even when things seem dire.
And so that article about the people from Ukraine who are running for office as Darth Vader and Stepan Chubakka, made me very happy.  Despite the real trauma that is happening in Ukraine, despite the uncertain future and political currents that will certainly end up sinking some ships, a few people have the courage to laugh into the face of dysfunction.
Humans can be wonderful.
The odds of us being wonderful seems inversely proportional to how seriously we take ourselves.
Last night on Survivor, one of the last network TV shows I actually pay any attention to, and the only "reality" show I have ever really watched faithfully, there was a perfect example.  One tribe had been running rough-shod over the other, and had yet to lose an immunity challenge.  For unknown reasons one of the more abrasive characters on the dominant tribe, Drew, decided to throw the challenge.  Drew then proceeded to flex his muscles, alienate people, and not surprisingly become the first member of his tribe voted out.
Drew swore that he was the mastermind, that he was in control, that he was such a "bad ass" that no one would dare go against him.  He was wrong.
The editing of the show told that story full well (I have come to understand that most of the narratives on Survivor are profoundly effected by the editing process, but that's another story).  Drew was arrogant and obviously thought more of himself and his position than he had any right to do.  My kids both applauded when he was voted out.  I pay attention to their reactions because their emotional responses are less jaded and thus probably more reliable than mine.  He deserved to leave, and I guess the reason why I like that show is for moments like that.
Because that very rarely happens in the real world.  The Vladmir Putins of the world get re-elected and ISIS actually gains support on the ground.  The worst are able to skulk their way to power, while people who might actually take the greater good into consideration stand very little chance.  Violence is the road to power.  Cheating is often the only way to win.
No wonder we like reality TV, at least there are rules, and the narratives aren't so damned depressing.
In a situation as bleak as Ukraine, sometimes the only thing to do is to dress up like a Wookie or a Sith Lord and play that harp-y thing.  I wonder if the same thing could bend our politics for the better?
Lando Calrisian for President in '16!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on what you read, but keep it clean and respectful, please.